One recent blog post of my friend prompted me to think about quite a lot of stuff.
Looking at the number of friends that I have on facebook, I realized that there were really quite a number who I have never seen before in real life, yet we manage to bond as well, over something common, Fahrenheit <3
What truly defines a friend?
I remember that on my first day of GP lesson, when Mr Tan asked us to write down one question for me, I wrote that. Just because that day, our comprehension was on Facebook, and he talked about this online friend of his.
When you search in the dictionary, a friend is defined as:
1. A person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard
2. A person who gives assistance; patron; supporter
3. A person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile
I would be tempted to think that most people view 1 as their friends. But then again, everyone has friends with different degrees of closeness.
1 and 3 do apply quite a lot. Everyone has acquaintances who you can talk to when you meet for a short period of time. And when that happens, everyone's happy and at least time is well spent talking to people you relatively like. To some extent, 1 and 3 can be quite similar.
But when it comes to close friends, there is nothing like words that can express the kind of feelings you have towards each other, and the things that you do for each other.
Thinking of that person the moment you are sad, telling that person every little thing in your life, wanting to be there for that person. I think that is what a true friend is really about, someone close to your heart, someone who you can rely on forever.
There might not be such things as forever friends, but for the sake of it, this kind of friendships should really be treasured because I believe that, even though it is hard to come by, any kind of friendship of this extent can withstand anything.
It's amazing how fate brings people together, be it as friends or as anything else.
But who you choose to keep by your side and confide in is really up to yourself, and for me, I really have some close friends I want to keep for the rest of my life.